- Q: What Does SEO stand for?
- A: Search Engine Optimization
- Q: What exactly is a robots.txt file?
- A: A web owner will use a robots.txt file to essentially give instructions about their website to web robots. The first thing a robot will check when it is visiting a websit is the robots.txt file. You should know that this file can be viewed by anyone, so anyone can easily find out what sections on your server you dont want the robots to use. Another interesting fact is some robots especially malware robots that scan the web for security and email harvesters ignore your robots.txt file. So do not use robots.txt file to hide information. This file must be placed in the most top level directory of your web server. For example if you have a public_html folder it should be in there. For more information regarding creating and how to use a robots.txt file please see robotstxt.org.
- Q: I've seen many types of SEO, what is "black hat", "white hat" and "grey hat" SEO?
- A: Actually there are more than just three types of SEO, but these three are the most frequently talked about. Black hat SEO is using bad practices to get high ranking, i.e. spamindexing, link framing and keyword stuffing. SEO companies will get really competitive in order to get their client's websites' ranking high that ultimately they can damage their client's reputation and eventually getting banned from search result. So if you are breaking search engine rules and regulations, creating a bad user experience due to black hat SEO you are most likely using black hat SEO.
However with a dark side of SEO there is also a lighter side, white hat SEO. White hat SEO focuses mostly on your site's content, content that will attract visitors to your website and not search engines. Content is very important in SEO building. You will get more inbound links from relevant websites and it is considered one of the better SEO tools. This practice does not put you in risk of your site getting blacklisted and doesnt violate search engine rules and guidelines. There is also an in between SEO service, called grey hat SEO. It is basically a half way point between black hat and white hat SEO. There are many services categorized under grey hat SEO. Some SEO companies take bigger risks than others. It's all about risk with grey hat SEO. The main rule to follow is to obey the rules of search engine rules and guidelines and you should be 100% ok.
- Q: What is the difference between organic and non-organic SEO?
- A: Organic SEO is all about the content on your website (I told you, CONTENT IS IMPORTANT!). Your website must contain valid and relevant keywords.
Non-organic SEO is mostly software and advertisements that a website owner has paid for. Organic SEO is a much better practice to use. However you should know that it is very time consuming, NO short cuts and not popular enough. It's the best practice to use and takes time and work, but you will see results and it is a job well done!